Contrave Coupons and Saving Tips
If lifestyle changes are not enough to help you lose excess weight, your doctor may suggest a prescription weight-loss medication. Contrave is a prescription weight-loss medication that is used to treat obesity. It combines naltrexone and bupropion to induce about 5% to 15% weight loss.1 Contrave works in the brain to suppress cravings. It seems to work best for emotional eaters who deal with food cravings.
Several FDA-approved prescription weight-loss medications have entered the market in the last decade, giving clinicians many more options to treat obesity, a chronic disease associated with about 200 other diseases.
Table of Contents
Patents still cover these medications, and therefore, they are expensive. Patents and drug exclusivity protections can last up to 20 years. They give manufacturers time to market their products without competition. Contrave is expected to enjoy patent exclusivity through 2030.
According to GoodRx, Contrave has an average monthly retail price of $731.30 (on 10/12/23). This puts it beyond the reach of most people. However, there are ways to decrease the cost.
Taking Advantage of Contrave Coupons and Discount Cards
If you have insurance and it does not cover Contrave, ask your healthcare provider to submit an appeal. Obesity is a chronic disease, just like hypertension and type 2 diabetes, but it frequently is not treated as such. Talk to your insurance company representative to learn more about the appeal process and whether Contrave requires prior authorization to be covered.
If your insurance company does not cover Contrave, or you do not have insurance, manufacturer drug coupons, prescription discount cards, and prescription discount coupons could still save you money.
Prescription discount cards and prescription discount coupons are offered through third-party companies such as GoodRx and SingleCare to save you money on prescription medications. Prescription discount cards are used repeatedly to receive discounted prescription prices.
To receive a prescription discount coupon, navigate to GoodRx or SingleCare and enter the name of your prescription into the search bar. A list of local pharmacies will pop up along with their discounted prices.
When entering Contrave on the GoodRx webpage, prices ranged from $515 to $750 in my local area. While still expensive, this is a significant discount off the list price.
Repeating the same procedure at SingleCare, prices ranged from $611.22 to $659.47. Each third-party organization has different contracts with member pharmacies, so it is important to check multiple sites to learn which has the best price.
Other Money-Saving Tips
In addition to manufacturer and third-party discounts, there are other ways to save on your Contrave prescription.
Researching Online Pharmacies
Third-party sites like GoodRx and SingleCare make comparing Contrave prices at multiple pharmacies easy. However, it is also important to do your own research. Check the prices on online pharmacies and local pharmacies to see which offers the best pricing.
Applying for Patient Assistance Programs
Some pharmaceutical companies also offer manufacturer drug coupons. These are often referred to as a copay coupon or copay assistance program and help people with insurance pay less.
Contrave offers a CurAccess program that offers Contrave at $99 or less with free shipping, depending on your insurance company. Set up an online account or call to talk with a Ridgeway pharmacy staff member to learn more about the program. Ridgeway pharmacy will contact your doctor’s office and ask that the prescription be transferred to their pharmacy.
Another option is to use the Contrave Coupon Savings Care Program. Enroll in the Savings Card Program online and receive the savings card. Take it to your local pharmacy. If your insurance covers Contrave, you can receive a discount on your copay. Your total cost could be as low as $20.
If you do not have insurance, use the Contrave Savings Coupon Card, and pay no more than $199 per month for your prescription.
Understanding Insurance Coverage
Check with your insurance company to learn more about coverage for Contrave. If it is not covered, find out why. Ask if there are exceptions based on more documentation.
If Contrave is not covered, ask if another weight-loss medication is. Read expert Contrave reviews to learn more about its risks and benefits and compare this information to reviews on other weight-loss medications.
Check online for other email prescription savings plans. While most people are familiar with GoodRx and SingleCare, there are many others that may offer a better discount.
Get the Most Out of Contrave
Weight-loss medications are expensive, but hopefully, some of these discount programs might work for you. To help you get the best Contrave before and after results after filling your prescription, be sure to take it exactly as prescribed.
You should expect at least a one-pound-per-week weight loss while taking Contrave and a 4% to 5% weight loss after taking Contrave for three to six months. Follow up with your doctor regularly to verify whether your weight loss is on track, to report any side effects, and for additional weight loss tips. Invest in yourself now for better health as you age.
Tips for maximizing weight loss:
- Ask for help from friends, family, or medical professionals to help you reach your goals.
- Avoid consuming sugary beverages and processed foods. These are high in calories and leave you hungry again as your blood sugar and insulin levels spike and then fall.
- Building muscle helps change body composition and support weight loss. Do at least two strength-building sessions each week that exercise all major muscle groups in your body.
- Choose food for restaurants in advance and ask the server to box half your meal before putting it on your plate.
- Consume a nutritious, balanced diet that includes a variety of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products.
- Engage in movement throughout the day, AND aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise each week.
- Make it more challenging to access snacks in your home to avoid impulse eating.
- Mindfully eat your meals without the distraction of technology.
- Pay attention to hunger and fullness. Try to notice when you first become comfortably full.
- Prioritize getting 7 to 9 hours of high-quality, restful sleep each night.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day to optimize metabolism and reduce hunger.
- Weigh and measure food until you have a good idea of what a portion should look like.
While we strive to always provide accurate, current, and safe advice in all of our articles and guides, it’s important to stress that they are no substitute for medical advice from a doctor or healthcare provider. You should always consult a practicing professional who can diagnose your specific case. The content we’ve included in this guide is merely meant to be informational and does not constitute medical advice.
- Ornellas T, Chavez B. Naltrexone SR/Bupropion SR (Contrave): A New Approach to Weight Loss in Obese Adults. P T. 2011 May;36(5):255-62. PMID: 21785538; PMCID: PMC3138366.