In this episode, Derek Berkey and Natalie Garland speak with Dr. Richard Johnson, a world-renowned scientist who has spent over two decades researching the cause of obesity and diabetes. Dr. Johnson shares his insights on the survival switch and its role in obesity, debunks common dietary myths, and explains why fructose is worse for us than glucose. He also shares practical steps to prevent obesity and related diseases, the impact of fructose on Alzheimer’sand ADHD, and his thoughts on supplements like berberine and metformin. Tune in to learn more from Dr. Johnson and take control of your health!
The Invigor Medical podcast aims to provide personalized medical care through scientifically backed education and wellness solutions. Natalie Garland and Derek Berkey co-host the show.
- 00:46 – Dr. Johnson’s intro and background
- 01:15 – Dr. Johnson tells his story and discusses fructose – its non-caloric obesity role
- 04:22 – Uric acid – why is it so bad?
- 07:47 – Fructose and how uric acid forms
- 14:00 – ATP is active energy
- 17:00 – Survival mode, storing fat, hibernating bears, and fruit
- 28:55 – Water, salt, fats, dehydration, and glucose conversion
- 31:50 – Fructose vs. glucose, salt, weight, and drinking water
- 42:45 – Heart disease and low-grade inflammation from fructose and uric acid
- 47:17 – Alzheimer’s, insulin resistance, inflammation, and fructose
- 54:32 – Fructose and the ‘foraging response’, Alzheimer’s and the ‘wandering response’
- 58:42 – Fructose’s impact on all ages, ADHD, Bipolar,
- 1:01:15 – Berberine, metformin, and dark chocolate’s epicatechins
- 1:05:01 – Semaglutide
- 1:08:50 – Want something to do today? Drink a glass of water before each meal