Can I Buy Ornithine?
Patients can buy Ornithine in the Amino Blend formula with the included prescription consultation. Consult with the doctor via an online Telewellness visit. The pharmacy will send the medication directly to your door after approval.
Do we offer Ornithine as part of a treatment plan?
Reduces muscle fatigue
Increases muscle and bone density
How Does Ornithine Work?
Ornithine Increases Muscle Contractility and Muscle Mass
L-ornithine is a non-essential, non-protein amino acid. L-ornithine is part of the urea cycle, along with L-arginine and L-citrulline. Together, these amino acids help buffer ammonia in the blood. Ammonia activates the enzyme phosphofructokinase, which increases the production of lactate. This causes a decrease in muscle cell pH and calcium release, and therefore a decrease in muscle contractility. Increased ornithine may reverse these effects, increasing the length of muscle contractility before fatigue and allowing for a longer, more productive workout.
Ornithine and arginine promote the synthesis of growth hormone, which is expected to increase protein synthesis and muscle mass. However, the potential effect of ornithine on growth hormone release is not fully understood.
Other studies show that ornithine may improve mood and sleep quality by affecting the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis. In a study, it reduced cortisol levels, and study participants reported they felt less stressed and had a more restful sleep.
Benefits of Ornithine
- Increased muscle mass
- Reduced muscle fatigue
- Faster recovery from a workout
- Increased endurance
Want us to contact you?
Where Do I Start?
What is Ornithine used for?
- Removing toxic ammonia from the body
- Helps with muscle growth and repair
You should avoid Ornithine if you are/have:
- Allergy to L-ornithine or any of its components
- Ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency
What are the side effects of Ornithine?
- Muscle cramps
- Randomised Controlled Trial of the Effects of L-ornithine on Stress Markers and Sleep Quality in Healthy Workershttps://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-13-53
- Ornithine-alpha-ketoglutarate Improves Skeletal Muscle Protein Synthesis as Assessed by Ribosome Analysis and Nitrogen Use After Surgeryhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1493280/
- Ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate Improves Wound Healing in Severe Burn Patients: A Prospective Randomized Double-Blind Trial Versus Isonitrogenous Controlshttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10890617/
- Ornithine Uptake by Rat Liver Mitochondria: Effect of Calcium and Argininehttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3453689/
- Prevalent use of Dietary Supplements Among People who Exercise at a Commercial Gymhttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15467105/
- Effect of L-ornithine Hydrochloride Ingestion on Intermittent Maximal Anaerobic Cycle Ergometer Performance and Fatigue Recovery After Exercisehttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21431425/
- Arginine and Ornithine Supplementation Increases Growth Hormone and Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 Serum Levels After Heavy-Resistance Exercise in Strength-Trained Athleteshttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20300016/
- Ornithine Ingestion and Growth Hormone Release in Bodybuildershttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0271531705802659