Can You Get Oxytocin Online?
Oxytocin hormone supports social interaction, boosts mood, enhances sexual health, reduces inflammation, and suppresses appetite. Oxytocin is naturally produced when you touch or interact with another person. Commonly called “the love hormone,” oxytocin has snagged attention online as a hormone that has the potential to spice up your sex life and help you lose weight, all while in a happy, contented mood. Everyone naturally produces oxytocin, but sometimes you just feel like you need a boost, leading many people to wonder where you can buy oxytocin online. Oxytocin can be purchased online, but you do need a prescription. Oxytocin can affect your brain and body in many ways, so your doctor can help you decide if oxytocin will benefit you.
Table of Contents
What Is Oxytocin?
Oxytocin is a hormone that is produced in the hypothalamus and released into the bloodstream by the pituitary gland. The hypothalamus is located at the base of the brain. It is linked to the pituitary gland, a “master gland” that secretes hormones influencing nearly every bodily function. Oxytocin is secreted into the bloodstream, but neurons also deliver it in networks throughout the brain and spinal cord.1
Though best known for its role in breastfeeding, labor and social behavior, oxytocin has many other roles. Oxytocin is involved in the following:
- Hunger and craving
- Sexual arousal
- Romantic attachments
- Testosterone production
- Pain control
- Stress response
Oxytocin can reduce stress and inflammation and function as an antioxidant. It influences the nervous, reproductive, and immune systems. Its widespread effect on the body has led researchers to investigate its potential as a treatment for many physical and psychological conditions. However, oxytocin’s effect varies by sex, context, and experience.1
Oxytocin has been tested in the treatment of many conditions, including:2-4
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Postpartum depression
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Borderline personality
- Metabolic conditions, such as obesity
- Digestive disorders
- Cardiovascular disease
- Infectious diseases
- Decreased muscle mass and strength
What Happens If You Take Oxytocin?
Oxytocin’s effect depends on many factors, including sex hormone levels, environmental factors, genetic predisposition, and physiological differences. Your response to adversity and stress will also affect your response to oxytocin.
You may notice a feeling of increased trust and connectedness. Researchers found that when people use oxytocin nasal spray, they are more generous and emotional, but this may depend on context. Researchers found that feelings of social bonding and trust may only extend to your in group. Oxytocin may actually promote feelings of mistrust toward people in your outgroup.5
Oxytocin also increases empathy, and it may reduce fear. Oxytocin increases romantic attachment and attraction.6 It may increase orgasmic intensity and sexual satisfaction. Oxytocin is more of a love hormone than a party drug.7
Oxytocin has effects throughout the brain. It can evoke feelings of contentment, satisfaction, and ease. It may inhibit the release of the stress hormone cortisol and decrease anxiety.8
If you are working on your body composition, oxytocin may help by reducing cravings and modulating appetite. Oxytocin acts in the dopamine reward pathway. This pathway is activated when you experience something that the brain interprets as pleasurable.9 In one study, researchers found that a single dose of oxytocin nasal spray caused men to reduce their calorie intake for a single meal by 122 kcal, which could add up to more than 37 pounds over a year.10 Oxytocin may decrease your sensitivity to sweets by either affecting the appetite-regulating areas of the brain or the taste buds.
Can I Get Over-the-counter Oxytocin?
Besides the intravenous form of oxytocin that is used in hospitals, oxytocin comes in a nasal spray and an orally dissolving tablet. However, both delivery methods for oxytocin require a prescription. If you find an online store selling oxytocin without a prescription, it is most likely another substance.
Oxytocin is a peptide. Digestive enzymes in the stomach break it down, so it must be administered through an intravenous line directly into the bloodstream or across mucous membranes. Oxytocin comes in a nasal spray that delivers the peptide to membranes close to the brain or an orally dissolving tablet. An ODT dissolves in saliva, and the peptide passes through the mucous membrane in the mouth into the bloodstream.
Can You Naturally Boost Oxytocin?
You can naturally increase your oxytocin levels by engaging in activities known to trigger its release, such as11
- Physical contact—cuddling, hugging, kissing, massaging, and holding hands
- Social bonding—eye gaze, conversation, laughing
- Sex—orgasm, touch, erection, and ejaculation
Where Can You Get Oxytocin Online?
When you look for oxytocin online, first check to see if a prescription is required. If not, look at the product with a critical eye. A quick Google search for ‘buy oxytocin online‘ brings up several products. Many of these products are listed as dietary supplements and are pills. Oxytocin in pill or capsule form will be dissolved by stomach enzymes and rendered useless.
Another thing you may notice are products that claim to increase the release of oxytocin. They may contain substances such as Ginkgo biloba, St John’s wort, and carnitine. None of these products list any clinical trials or studies that support the premise that they may increase oxytocin release. These supplements may support mood and suppress appetite, but it would be better to purchase them as individual supplements after consulting with your doctor. These nutrients may interact with prescription medications or be contraindicated if you have certain medical or psychological conditions.
You can buy oxytocin online with a prescription. The medical professionals at Invigor Medical make it easy to get an oxytocin prescription. Almost 400 clinical trials are either completed, ongoing, or underway to evaluate oxytocin’s therapeutic effects. Talk to a medical professional who is familiar with this research.
While we strive to always provide accurate, current, and safe advice in all of our articles and guides, it’s important to stress that they are no substitute for medical advice from a doctor or healthcare provider. You should always consult a practicing professional who can diagnose your specific case. The content we’ve included in this guide is merely meant to be informational and does not constitute medical advice.
1. Carter CS, Kenkel WM, MacLean EL, et al. Is Oxytocin “Nature’s Medicine”? Pharmacol Rev. Oct 2020;72(4):829-861. doi:10.1124/pr.120.019398
2. Hurlemann R, Grinevich V. Behavioral pharmacology of neuropeptides: oxytocin. Springer; 2018.
3. Espinoza SE, Lee JL, Wang CP, et al. Intranasal Oxytocin Improves Lean Muscle Mass and Lowers LDL Cholesterol in Older Adults with Sarcopenic Obesity: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. J Am Med Dir Assoc. Sep 2021;22(9):1877-1882.e2. doi:10.1016/j.jamda.2021.04.015
4. Goodin BR, Ness TJ, Robbins MT. Oxytocin – a multifunctional analgesic for chronic deep tissue pain. Curr Pharm Des. 2015;21(7):906-13. doi:10.2174/1381612820666141027111843
5. De Dreu CKW, Greer LL, Van Kleef GA, Shalvi S, Handgraaf MJJ. Oxytocin promotes human ethnocentrism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2011;108(4):1262-1266. doi:10.1073/pnas.1015316108
6. Hurlemann R, Patin A, Onur OA, et al. Oxytocin Enhances Amygdala-Dependent, Socially Reinforced Learning and Emotional Empathy in Humans. The Journal of Neuroscience. 2010;30(14):4999-5007. doi:10.1523/jneurosci.5538-09.2010
7. Magon N, Kalra S. The orgasmic history of oxytocin: Love, lust, and labor. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. Sep 2011;15 Suppl 3(Suppl3):S156-61. doi:10.4103/2230-8210.84851
8. Jones C, Barrera I, Brothers S, Ring R, Wahlestedt C. Oxytocin and social functioning. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. Jun 2017;19(2):193-201. doi:10.31887/DCNS.2017.19.2/cjones
9. Hong SM, Ko JK, Moon JJ, Kim YR. Oxytocin: A Potential Therapeutic for Obesity. J Obes Metab Syndr. Jun 30 2021;30(2):115-123. doi:10.7570/jomes20098
10. Lawson EA, Marengi DA, DeSanti RL, Holmes TM, Schoenfeld DA, Tolley CJ. Oxytocin reduces caloric intake in men. Obesity. 2015;23(5):950-956. doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.21069
11. Behnia B, Heinrichs M, Bergmann W, et al. Differential effects of intranasal oxytocin on sexual experiences and partner interactions in couples. Horm Behav. Mar 2014;65(3):308-18. doi:10.1016/j.yhbeh.2014.01.009